Wednesday, September 13, 2006

More Cairnes Tails (like fish-tails, heh)

"Artists use lies to tell the truth, politicians use lies to hide the truth." - ???

OK, so a couple posts ago I promised a few more stories from Cairns, so here they come. Oh, right, well- right after my apology for the last post… I was a little… ummm… right. Sorry. Haha.

Driving on the other side of the road. Running out of things to do in the hub-town of Cairns, we decided that renting a car would be a good idea. Hum. Well, first the first thing that Nick and I were reminded of as we arrived at A-1 car rentals, was that they drive on the other side of the road. That doesn’t really seem like a big deal at first, but then you realize that you are sitting on the other side of the car, seatbelt is going the wrong way, shifter knob on the left, blinker wand on the right side of the steering wheel etc. Its all backwards. Other backwards things here include: the toilette flushing the other way, the seasons, and they say “see you” instead of “later.” So whenever someone says “see you” to me, I feel like I’m finishing their statement for them by saying “later.” Anyways, I digress….

I guess the Elon-ers in London can relate the best to the whole driving on the other side of the road thing. AND turn-abouts. Those things are crazy. At my first opportunity, I took our sleek royal blue 2003 Hyundi Elantra for a skull-busting 1080degree turn (That’s 3 full circles) around and around the round-about. Weee!! I later found out that is illegal. Whoopsies! We zig-zagged all over the mountains and through the sugar fields for the day, and ended back at Calypso safely 200 kilometres later.


Swimming with the turtle from Finding Nemo:
All suited up in top of the line snorkelling gear, I did a graceful plop off of our catamaran that took us to the Great Barrier Reef. The water was around 80degrees Fahrenheit, and absolutely crystal clear. The sunlight danced on the crests of small waves that you could see for miles. Shades of blue and green were everywhere under the water from the darker areas of coral. Honestly, Nemo’s neighbourhood looks exactly like what the reef really looks like. (Ah! Australian Microsoft word, made me spell neighb-o-r-h-o-o-d that silly brit way with a “ou”.) Mel and Maggie found a sea turtle that they followed around for the better part of the afternoon, and I searched for a sea cucumber to jack off. Haha, did anyone else see that episode of Jackass?


I had midterms this week. Thank god those are over. Advertising was quite tricky, while the Marketing exam was a bit easier. The first question asked us to describe the marketing impacts that Busta Rhymes’ song “pass the Courvoisier” had on the liquor industry. Ahhaha. Saaweet.

No comments: